Age UK, Dementia Day Care volunteer
This is a highly responsible position which listens and responds to the needs and aspirations of individual clients and carers within our Dementia and Day centre settings.
To share with other staff in meeting the needs of centre users, in a way that respects dignity of the individual and promotes independence.
To help maintain the physical environment of the centre and to assist with the general day to day activities in a way that meets the needs and interests of the clients.
Demonstrate an understanding and awareness of the policies and procedures of Age UK Gateshead, ensuring that they are maintained at all times.
Main duties and responsibilities:
- To help clients, with mobility issues whilst assisting in the use of care aids.
- To instigate and help in the promotion of cognitive and physical activities for clients by way of conversation, music therapy, pool and snooker, curling, dancing, enjoying live music, reading, drawing, crafts, gentle physical activity and reminiscence.
- To assist in setting tables and trays, serving refreshments, meals, supporting clients over meal times, washing up and undertaking light cleaning duties as required.
- To observe client welfare and to report any concerns whilst understanding the importance of client confidentiality at all times.
The role will also require you to:
- Attend training as and when required.
The skills required for this role are:
- A liking for and empathy with older people.
- Ability to work as part of a team and on your own.
- Reliability and trustworthiness.
- An interest in developing activities for older people.
- Good communication skills, including a sound understanding of both spoken and written English.
- Decent level of fitness.
- A sense of humour.
This service operates six days a week from 10.30am-3pm and you can choose which hour’s best suited for you.
House on the Hill Sunderland Road, Felling, Gateshead, NE10 9LR.
Age UK Gateshead will pay any agreed travel expenses (bus-fare, etc.) on production of receipts paid out in the course of journeys. Use of your car will be paid on a mileage basis for all authorised journeys undertaken
Christ Church Hall